Bariatric surgery (weight-loss surgery) includes a variety of procedures performed on people who are obese. There are many options available to help treat obesity. The links below provide some excellent information to patients.
In addition, we offer free monthly seminars to patients interested in the latest surgical options for medical weight loss with no obligation.
There are 4 main types of Weight Loss Surgical Procedures.
While we offer all procedures, we specialize in the Laparoscopic Gastric Sleeve Procedure. This is a relatively new procedure that involves lower risk than the gastric bypass and more weight loss potential than the Gastric Band. With this surgery there is no need to implant any foreign material as in the Gastric Band, and it does not require any adjustments.
The Gastric Sleeve or “Sleeve” is in many respects superior to other Bariatric Surgical Procedures.
- Does not require frequent fills and adjustments that are not covered by insurance
- Has a much higher patient satisfaction
- More and longer lasting weight loss
- Lower complication rates than the Gastric Bypass
Why would you want to have surgery to lose weight? The answer is if you can lose your excess weight by diet and exercise surgery should not be your choice. If you have been unsuccessful in previous weight loss attempts and are obese the benefits of loosing the weight with surgery are overwhelming.
A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) in 2004 shows how bariatric surgery can improve the following co-morbidities:
- Type 2 diabetes was improved significantly in 86% of patients and resolved in 76% of patients
- High Blood Pressure was improved in 78% of patients and resolved in 61%
- High cholesterol levels were reduced in over 70% of patients
- Sleep apnea was eliminated in 85% of patients
If you are interested in more information please contact our office where we can help answer any questions you may have about the procedures we offer and if you insurance will pay for them.